Time and time again, over the past few years, we’ve heard direct mail being labeled as “old school” and past it’s prime. The reality couldn’t be farther from that. Direct mail response is on the rise! Consumers enjoy getting direct mail that pertains to them. When direct mail is targeted correctly, it is not considered “junk mail.” Why, even tech-savvy millennials like to get mail!
Here are just a few reasons people (still) like to receive mail:
• It’s delivered to their home through no effort on their part
• It can be fun (so get creative and think outside of the box when designing your next marketing piece)
• A way to save money (who doesn’t like a good deal?)
• It’s informative (people are, by nature, a curious lot)
• It’s easily saved for future reference or use (consider using a magnet; people can put it on their fridge for future reference)
Direct mail statistics you should know (as reported in “From Letterbox to Inbox 2013”):
• 79% of consumers said that they act on direct mail right away
• 56% of consumers said that they consider print marketing to be the “most trustworthy” of all marketing media outlets
So…what do people do after they receive a direct mail piece? (“Consumer study reveals ‘direct mail matters’ in connected world,” July 11, 2013)
• 44% visit the website listed on the mailer
• 34% search online for more information about the product
• 26% save the mailer for future reference
Keeping all of the above in mind, how can you revamp the way you send your direct mail? Are you focused on the consumer and what is in it for them? Do you have a clear call- to-action, and the benefits they get by responding? When you think you do, ask someone outside your office to critique it for you. You might be surprised by what you can learn.
Considering the fact that nearly 50% of your mailer’s recipients will go online to check out your orthodontic practice after getting your direct mail piece, do you have landing pages designed with them in mind? Are you utilizing responsive design so that they can view your website and landing pages on mobile devices? These days, using responsive design is the best way to have your online content view correctly no matter what device is displaying it. Direct mail will drive people to online engagement; so make sure you are ready for them.
The only way that direct mail will continue to work is if we as orthodontic practice marketers send direct mail to consumers that is well-designed, has a clear call-to-action, and is targeted to the right households. This keeps recipients happy and increases your response rates. And, that keeps YOU happy!
At GetOrthoCases, orthodontic practice marketing is what we do and ALL that we do.